Saturday, August 11, 2012

Discovering Dance

(Aug 11)

Laura here, via Mark's iPad app :-) My body is exhausted! I had to tape up a major blister on my big toe, and I've discovered muscles in my legs and back that I didn't even know existed.  But what a small price to pay; I've discovered a love of dance on this trip!

Before ThisWorldMusic's Ghana study abroad program, most of my dancing occurred in my music classroom in the form of song games, or in my living room playing Dance Central for Kinect.  (Now) I'm dancing up to four hours a day. My body has simply fallen in love with African dance...Our two hour morning dance class is just not enough. If I haven't taken an additional private lesson that afternoon, I crave the movement that night. Coming into this trip I thought I would enjoy drumming the most. Don't misunderstand... I enjoy the drumming, but it's the dancing that has sparked expression in me I didn't know was there.

Even though I'm new to dancing, on this trip that doesn't matter. We are dance on an even playing field and it is easy to find kindred spirits who will venture into this new medium with me. On Monday I will perform four dances: two with the large group class (with Mark) and two small ensemble pieces that I have been working on in private lessons. I'm so thankful for my teachers here at the Dagbe Cultural Center, George and Mensah. I'm also thankful for my dancing colleagues on this trip, without whom I would have never had the courage to so enthusiastically throw myself into something so new to me.



When I get home, I do not know what I will do with this new passion, but one thing I know for sure... I'll have to keep moving!

Cheers,
Laura

I blog with BE Write

No comments:

Post a Comment