Friday, August 10, 2012

The Little Ones

(Aug 9)

Laura here! Apart from my studies at the Dagbe Cultural Center, my favorite thing about Kopeyia is the children. Several of the children now know my name, and beckon me with sweet voices and playful waves. From our arrival to the present, these little ones have been a constant source of smiles and joy. 

Earlier this week Mensah gathered some village children for a simulated classroom demonstration at the school. He showed a sample lesson in which they worked on the alphabet and did some classroom songs... it was adorable! They also taught us some of their favorite singing games. I can't wait to do "Holo Holo" with my kids at school.



Yesterday was a long day and as Mark said in his last post. We're now starting to really feel the intensity of the program. I even felt a little light-headed in dance class. Trying to preserve my energy, I decided to reschedule a private lesson, and when the group headed to the "Empty Cup" that evening I stayed back. I was practicing my dances by the front gate of the center... it's one of the few places slightly removed from the thunder of people practicing their drumming. 

While I was taking a water break, two children peeped through the gate and sheepishly approached me. I said hello and started learning their names. Then more children started shyly filtering into the center to join us.  After we finished introductions we all stood there looking at each other smiling awkwardly. Then I got an idea... I asked them if they wanted to dance "Tokoe" with me, and their faces lit up with an enthusiastic yes! We established where the stage was and I stood as the lead female dancer. One of the boys took charge of organizing the children behind me, and we were off singing the drum parts and doing the dance. I felt like the Pied Piper... it was a special moment. Midway through the dance, Valerie came with her computer. Once we had finished the children were naturally drawn to her mezmorizing Mac. They especially enjoyed seeing pictures of her daughter and a banana slug. My time with the kids that night was a perfect ending to a taxing day. 

Now for the weather/star report from Mark:

Even though it is still generally overcast, recently each night the clouds tease me by opening to reveal a different part of the sky.  Light pollution is very low and a good many stars can be found floating close to the horizon.  A few nights ago, Saturn, Mars, and Spica (a star in the constellation Virgo), converged to form a perfect equilateral triangle high in the sky.  We've also enjoyed the occasional streaking meteor, which I suspect are playing their part in the perennial dance of the Perseids.  A few members of our class, and even the staff have taken (or feigned) some interest in my obsession, and (perhaps out of pity) have even let me lead a few sky tours.

Thanks for reading,
Laura & Mark


I blog with BE Write

No comments:

Post a Comment